[rescue] Finding older memory chips

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Fri May 11 07:08:56 CDT 2007

Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 03:40:24AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
>> I've got this circa-1989 Amiga memory board:
>> http://farm1.static.flickr.com/220/480625049_948a44f0b2_b.jpg
>> http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/480624003_5bc9039763_b.jpg
>> Anybody know if its still possible to find more of those RAM
>> chips?
>
> Without looking at the pictures or recognising the part number, I'll bet
> that they're 256k x 4 80ns (or faster) DIP DRAMs since those were very
> popular on Amiga memory boards. You can usually find said chips on old ISA
> VGA cards.

I seem to remember that those came in a couple of sizes: 64K each and
256K, maybe? I may have some around, too, but I have to find the 286
that the memory expansion card is in. These look to be the 64 K variety.

I had this 286 (with an Intel AboveBoard memory expansion card) running
Minix and a web server. Sort of an exercise in minimalism for me.

There was also something from AST called a Six-Pack Plus or something
like that that included memory expansion and took chips like this. I
think I have dumped all my old, old ISA cards, but I'll take a look. I
used to have a couple of them.

Nah, just looked and I must have purged them. It only takes one
experience like this to keep me from throwing anything away for years.
My wife doesn't understand my reluctance to part with things that I
think I might be able to use... someday.

Steve