[rescue] Alpha PWS500AU question

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Thu May 3 10:05:31 CDT 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 10:46:47AM -0400, alex at lava-net.com wrote:
> Recently been tasked with installing some form of Linux on a couple of
> PWS500s.    Was wondering what people think is the best distribution to
> run on these? I know my choices are rather limitted these days, and
> could always go Netbsd, but linux is my first choice.  Currently
> thinking of using the alpha port of debian Sarge, but had some issues
> installing it that I'm not sure if they are related to debian or my
> network connection.  Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Personally, I'd run NetBSD (it's what I run on my AS800), but if you prefer
Linux, I think Debian is the best option. It has the best community support
and is still a very active port. Others to consider are Gentoo and
AlphaCore, but I don't think either have the support of Debian.

BTW, as was mentioned, etch is now the stable release - sarge is oldstable :)

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/