[rescue] AS/400e resale value?

Kevin R. Marshall kevin at mpcf.com
Wed May 2 10:27:02 CDT 2007

They're trying to get a couple of grand out of it for resale.

I've told them that i doubt they will get that much, but that i
would check around.

I'd love to take it home and give it a shot, but i'll likely be
moving out of the country soon and the last thing i need is
another computer that i need a forklift to move.  Besides, i've
got two smaller AS/400s (CISC i believe) already at home that
i've never put together and booted up.  I don't know much about
OS/400 nor the hardware, only the basic concepts of LPAR and so
on.

If i thought i could sell the parts, i'd buy it for a grand or so
and part it out, but the market doesn't look full of buyers and
i don't want to sit on parts for a year, so i'll leave it as
their problem.

/KRM

On Wed, 2 May 2007 11:10:03 -0400
"James Fogg" <James at jdfogg.com> wrote:

> > Does an AS/400e (type: 9406-820) have any resale value these
> > days?  I have a client that is trying to get rid of theirs
> > and are so far, not having much luck.
> >
> > I don't have any data on the specs, other than it has 2 tape
> > drives (a small 8mm library and one DAT) large Best UPS and
> > 20+ drives.  No info on drive size or RAM or OS/400 revision.
>

> There isn't a large market for used AS/400's from what I can
tell.

> If they are within 100 miles of New Hampshire I'd be happy to
pick it up
> for free and give it a good loving home.

/~\ The ASCII
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML
/ \ Email!