[rescue] Anybody have a DDS-4 drive I can borrow?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 1 15:58:55 CDT 2007

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 02:17:34PM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
>> I had to do something similar when I had a Sony AIT-1 300-model drive
>> on Solaris 2.6 but that was an awful long time ago.
>> I'm frankly surprised you had to jump through hoops.
>
> If it had been a Sun-sourced or a generic "off the shelf" drive, it
> would have worked without hoops; the factor here was that the drive
> has IBM firmware and gives a non-standard product ID string.

Understood...

Linux and BSD systems just fall back to generic support if they don't
recognize the specific drive.  Most SCSI drives work fine like that.

Are you saying Solaris completely refused to talk to the drive?

If so that's... interesting.

Now I'm wondering if that's what caused me grief last year with a tape drive.
 I thought it was broken and wasted a lot of time debugging cabling and such.

It never occurred to me that Solaris was just refusing to allow an
unrecognized drive.

Oh well, live and learn.

--
shannon           | The grieving lords take ship.  With these our very souls