[rescue] FS: Matched pair of 1G MacBook 667MHz SODIMMS

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Fri Jun 29 11:01:54 CDT 2007

> Okay, reading that page, I seem to see that I can go to up to 4 gigs of
> RAM in my 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook?  Apple's website says they can go up
> to 2 gigs (which is what I've got in it right now).  In any case, for
> a bit over $230, I could double my RAM and give my brother's CoreDuo a
> bump.  Nice.

I've been trying to warn people about this - some x86 chipsets (for
instance any Intel Core Duo/Core 2 Duo chipsets previous to Intel's new
Santa Rosa designs) don't remap hardware I/O space above 4GB which means
that regardless of OS (Windows *any version*, OS X, Linux *any version*)
you can put in 4GB but you'll only get to use 3GB or so.

This has nothing to do with PAE, 32-bit or 64-bit, etc.  It's a
chipset/BIOS limitation in some models.  (Basically a design oversight
that isn't talked about much.)

So unless you have some of the very newest (Santa Rosa) Core 2 Duo
notebook Macs, you will only get 3GB even if you put 4GB in.

- Nate