[rescue] Problems installing new CPUs (was: Looking for Ultra-2 parts)

Andrew Gaylard ag at computer.org
Thu Jun 28 15:34:16 CDT 2007

On 6/28/07, haroldkarl at juno.com <haroldkarl at juno.com> wrote:

> Andrew,
> if the cpu number isn't 5015445, it ain't going to work... if the
> "thickness" you speak of is a black
> plate on the opposite side of the heatsinks, you received the wrong
> cpu...

Hmmm.  The modules bear a sticker with the number "5015446".
And they do indeed have a black plate as you describe.
So I guess they aren't the ones.  So what *are* they?

it should look like the ones you just took out... roughly...

OK, some more experimenting...
- I upgraded my firmware to the latest: 3.25.0 from patch 104169-08.
- I removed the plastic shroud and the black plate from one module.
- Once this was done, both modules fitted in the slots fine.
- On boot, the banner showed "2 X UltraSPARC-II 400MHz".
- The boot process then hung hard during "Initializing memory".
- I then rebooted, and hit Stop-A before the memory initialization began.
- I could cruise around in the OpenBoot, and a test-all seemed to run fine.
- A "boot" led to a hard hang immediately "Initializing memory" began.

At this point, about 3 minutes into the experiment, the chips under the
place where the heatsink had been were now quite hot, and I got nervous
in case the heat damaged something.  So I called a halt.

Darn.

Andrew