[rescue] Best brains: Â Dead keyboard ports on PC hardware

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Jun 22 16:05:15 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 15:45 -0500, Scott Newell wrote:
> At 10:23 AM 6/19/2007 , nate at portents.com wrote:
> >> Win2KPro (Workstation) supports 1-2 CPUs, so yes.
> >
> >While the label/license describes them as CPUs, a more appropriate way to
> >think about it is CPU sockets, because that is how it works.  I.E. Win 2k
> >Pro will currently support up to eight CPU cores (two quad-core processors
> >in a dual socket 771 board for instance).  Likewise XP Home will support
>
> Can anyone confirm that win2k pro (not server) will support more than two
> cores?

I've only seen it supporting more than 2 cores when used with a special
vendor supplied HAL supplied by the hardware vendor.  One example of
that is a SGI VW 540, a quad P3 Xeon system.  When I used Win2K on a
dual processor Xeon with HT, 2K would only see 2 CPUs, while linux and
XP saw the same machine as a Quad CPU machine.  I guess this was in the
2002 timeframe.