[rescue] IRIX 4.x

ajones ascii.letter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 15:29:29 CDT 2007

> Message: 10
> Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:12:17 -0600
> From: "Robert Darlington" <rdarlington at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] FTP site for archive of _all_ old platforms on
> 	it's way
> To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>
> Ah, good point.
>
> SGI makes available for free a copy of the OS that shipped with your
> system.  Call em up.  They may charge for shipping, but in the past
> they did not.
>
> Bob
They'll only sell you IRIX 6.5, and last time I tried this gambit, media
were about $600.  Heck, all IRIX sales may have ended by now, I am
uncertain.

You need a valid support contract to get the time of day from SGI.  The
oldest supported systems are the O2 and the Origin 2000.

Honestly, I doubt any IRIX 4.0-era stuff still exists on SGI property.
They're a much smaller company than they once were, and IRIX/MIPS is
much less important to them than it was even as recently as a year ago.
(When it wasn't that important.)