[rescue] IPI interface drives

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 13:54:56 CDT 2007

I recently became the owner of several IPI interface
Seagate Sabre hard drives. They're 97229 1.2gig
drives. So far I haven't had any luck (exchanging
parts from a dead 9720 8xx mb drive) in getting them
to work with SMD.

I have nothing that will work with IPI disks. The only
machines I'm familiar with that used IPI were old Sun3
VME based machines (of which I have only ONE. Is it
just me or are those things really, really rare?). Of
course, I don't have the proper controller, and the
3/160 I have doesn't actually work.

So - any ideas what else these can be connected to? Or
has anyone been able to convert an IPI Sabre to SMD?
(It should work, if I had the boards from a 1.2gig SMD
Sabre - any one confirm or deny this?)

-Ian