[rescue] USB KVM with my Octane: possible?

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 06:03:48 CDT 2007

> > Oh, I've seen adapters like that. I have tons.
> They probably still
> > come with USB peripherals.

> > I tried one that I have, and it doesn't work (as
> per original post).
> > I assume that it has something to do with the fact
> that this KVM puts
> > both mouse and keyboard over the same USB wire, so
> what I need isn't
> > the adapter itself as much as the device that
> takes kbd+mouse over
> > USB and spits out the two different signals to two
> different wires.

Yeah, those little adapter plugs (like the little
green ones that come with mice) only are intended to
work with the device they came with, or at least a
device that's supposed to work with them. As far as I
know - they aren't intelligent, they simply put the
device into a different mode (handled by the devices
microcontroller) so that the device speaks the PS/2
protocol as opposed to USB. Therefore, they won't work
to, say, plug a generic USB keyboard into a PS/2 port.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I _think_ that's how they
work.

-Ian