[rescue] USB KVM with my Octane: possible?

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Mon Jun 18 23:40:57 CDT 2007

Short answer: I found what I was looking for. [0]. We'll see if it
works.

Long answer: continue reading :)

On Jun 18, 2007, at 13:54, Doug McLaren wrote:

> Well, that sounds like the right answer, but all the PS/2<->USB
> adapters I have take a PS/2 keyboard and mouse and adapt them to a USB
> computer.  What you need is the opposite -- something to adapt a USB
> keyboard and mouse to a PS/2 computer.
>
> I've never seen an adapter like that.

Oh, I've seen adapters like that. I have tons. They probably still
come with USB peripherals. However, they just take a single USB input
and push it to a single PS/2 output...
  - USB device (e.g. mouse) <--adapter--> PS/2 port

I tried one that I have, and it doesn't work (as per original post).
I assume that it has something to do with the fact that this KVM puts
both mouse and keyboard over the same USB wire, so what I need isn't
the adapter itself as much as the device that takes kbd+mouse over
USB and spits out the two different signals to two different wires.

Fortunately, as stated above, I found one.

  - Micah

[0] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812107901