[rescue] Floor loading... was Re: SGI ORIGIN 3800 SUPERCOMPUTER

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 01:43:23 CDT 2007

Andrew Weiss wrote:
>> O2K's aren't *that* big.  I have two in one room.
>
> On the other hand, though... I'm moving to an apartment soon that is
> much smaller and is on the second floor... it has elevators, though.
>
> The problem I am faced with, however, is my AS/400 and VAX 6000 are
> both 700 lbs each.  The VAX does that in 30" square.  According to
> standard floor loading for residential buildings, the area the VAX
> takes up should have no more than 250 lbs. loaded on it.  If you use
> the 1.4 x loading factor for 40 psf, you get up to 350 lbs.  I
> calculated that I'd need some sheet of material 4.1 ft on a side to
> slide under the thing to safely house it in the apartment.  Are there
> such sheets commonly available for this kind of purpose or should I
> use just 3/4" plywood?  Has anyone taken the batteries out of an AS/
> 400 and bypassed them?... that would take a lot of the weight out of
> that thing... which is about 2 ft by 3.5 ft.
>
> I've never had a place yet where I had to elevate those boxes.

My solution probably wouldn't work for you, your being in an apartment
and all, but here are pictures of my problem and my solution.

Most of the hardware isn't cabled up yet.  Only two racks full of gear
are actually running.

http://www.ikickass.org/machineroom/

BTW, this isn't the room with the two O2Ks in it.  Actually that room
also has an Onyx and three O200s in it.  The O2Ks aren't powered up yet,
but the O200s are.

Peace...  Sridhar