[rescue] (no subject)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Jun 15 00:29:52 CDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 09:59:58PM -0700, Scott Quinn wrote:

> > They wanted the option of being able to keep the kernel
> > closed source, which I understand they have now done, and wanted no
> > restrictions
> > on any part of it.
>

> News to me- Darwin still seems to be up on developer.apple.com. The
> OpenDarwin program did close, yes, but see the following:

This is new with the X86 version. Originaly Apple wanted to use a DRM chip to prevent people
running their operating system on non Apple computers. Unfortunately with an open
source operating system, it's easy to work around the "problem".  Apple has since
decided (no I don't have a source to quote) to drop DRM hardware and use other methods.

I don't think the DRM chip was ever implemented anyway.

What was released can not be unreleased, but the future versions of MacOS will
be different. Exactly what is released from Leopard is still subject of speculation.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838