[rescue] OS X is certified UNIX

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jun 14 23:23:47 CDT 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> More likely it's because no one uses postscript any more. After all it
> was designed as a printer only language and display postscript never
> took off (didn't Sun use it too for a while).

PostScript may have been born for deployment on the LaserWriter, but
it's a very interesting programming language in its own right.  It's
also a very interesting (and flexible) graphics language.  Graphing and
plotting in Postscript is trivial--much more than, say, playing with
drawing contexts and all the nonsense that comes with 2D graphics in
most GUI toolkits...which is where NeWS and DPS came from.

At the end of the day, it's just forth with some of the stack semantics
changed, a couple of minor syntax introductions, and a bunch of graphics
primitives.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "When they turn the pages of history, when these
Elgin, TX        (   days have passed long ago, will they read of us