[rescue] SFU on Windows, etc (was: Re: OS X is certified UNIX)

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jun 14 15:55:19 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 14:39 -0500, Timothy Baldridge wrote:

> Yeah, well, if it was up to me, I would have gone to Linux with the
> whole group of older machines. But Outlook (shared contacts) + a in
> house Access/MSsql database (not my fault I promise), and a few other
> thinks kept us from going fully to Linux. As I left, my boss was
> warming up to the idea of going to Linux all the way. M$ Vendor
> lock-in is really bad though. Once you get in it, it's hard to get
> out. Micro$oft products are kindof like crack in that way, except
> every trip is bad...

There has to be a good way to substitute evolution.  Dovecot can handle
shared message folders.  LDAP can handle contacts I believe.

There still is an issue with shared calanders that I haven't heard of a
convincing solution to yet.

For the Access stuff, isn't that what Crossover Office is for?  You
still will need the MS server, but an MS server or two doesn't seem as
bad as tons of MS desktops.