[rescue] SGI ORIGIN 3800 SUPERCOMPUTER

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 15:35:25 CDT 2007

Wow, I built a similar system at LANL during my time there. Mine was
128 cpus though.

The sgi system sat in 4 rack cabinets on the loading dock for over 3
years after purchase.  The warranty expired before it was ever setup
on the main compute floor at the "SCC" or Strategic Computing Complex.
 I had it up and running in one afternoon after power was connected.
Instead of using router bricks I was using a Myranet interconnect.
Initially this system was purchased for "studying interconnect
technologies" at $1.9M.  Shortly after this, politics got in the way
of it being used, and then finally I left the lab for greener
pastures.  The system never was put into use, but it was a lot of fun
having my own supercomputer for a few months.  To my knowledge it was
powered down when I left and was sent off for salvage.  Your tax
dollars at work!

Bob D