[rescue] OS X is certified UNIX

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 14 10:32:00 CDT 2007

Brian Wheeler wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 10:09 -0500, Brian Deloria wrote:
>> There's XP "WoW" and XP64.  My understanding is that until you exceed the
>> 4GB barrier of memory utilization there is no cost benefit but rather a loss
>> in performance, or at least so sayeth the Unigraphics guys.
>>

> The numbers I've seen on non-windows machines show better performance in
> 64-bit mode over 32-bit.  Having 8 extra registers makes the code
> happier.

It depends on the code of course.

Another issue is that in 64-bit mode you do not have an FPU.  The FPU is
disabled, and all math is done with SIMD instructions, which are generally
faster and not as prone to bottlenecks common to the x87 FPU.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto