[rescue] OS X is certified UNIX

Devin Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Thu Jun 14 10:04:00 CDT 2007

On 6/14/07 7:45 AM, "Joshua Boyd" <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 04:47:20PM -0700, Devin Ganger wrote:

>> 2) Windows Server 2003 R2, which is just W2K3 + slipstreamed SP1 + a few
>> other add-on bits now integrated into the Add/Remove Windows Components
and
>> Configure Your Server/Manager Your Server screen, takes the SFU 3.5
>> components and rolls them in. The packaging in Add/Remove is a slight bit
>> different, and the MMC GUIs have gotten some slight facelifts, but it's
the
>> same functionality and codebase.

> Was R2 a free upgrade, or does it require repurchasing windows server 2003?

Alas, it wasn't a free upgrade -- although I do believe that depending on
your licensing regime, you can substitute either set of media when
installing new licenses. I personally have seen the behavior that when you
use a non-R2 PID on R2 media, you get a non-R2 installation (you don't get
prompted for the second disk and thus don't get the integration of all the
extra bits into Add/Remove Windows Components or CYS/MYS).

But hey, even for those of us who work with MS on a daily basis, their
licensing is just plain mystery.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
Homepage: http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/