[rescue] OS X is certified UNIX

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jun 14 08:17:34 CDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 08:58:45AM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> I think you need to go back and research some stuff - you might be
> mis-remembering a few things.
>
> BSD did not have STREAMS, that was something that came from ATT.  BSD
> had sockets, which STREAMS was an attempt to get away from because
> sockets were believed to be too specific to TCP/IP, which was only
> one of several different popular networking protocols at the time.

Did I actually say that? I meant to type that UNIX (as in AT&T) had streams, and
BSD had sockets. oops. I must have still been asleep.

> Mach v2.5 still had most stuff, including BSD layer and hardware
> drivers, all in the kernel.  Mach 3.0 came out and generated a decent
> amount of interest, but then Apple bought Next and they were focused
> on the GUI and integration with MacOS 9.  Not sure how much of Mach
> 3.0 is in later versions of OSX.

Yes, I had that backwards too. Someone ported the Mach Kernel to Apple
PPC NUBUS hardware (was it Apple themselves?) and Apple had used that to develop
a Linux Kernel. You can still find it if you STFW for "MKLinux".

They also developed a PCI PPC Linux port, but abandoned it becuase they did not
want the GPL restrictions. They wanted the option of being able to keep the kernel
closed source, which I understand they have now done, and wanted no restrictions
on any part of it.

This was before the ability to run object code only (closed source) drivers was
added to Linux.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838