[rescue] OS X is certified UNIX

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 14 07:54:13 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>
>>> I've heard it said what w2K3 Server actually performs better for
>>> gaming than W2K.  Can anyone else corroborate or refute this?
>> In my experience, Windows Server 2003 is a better platform (faster for
>> gaming, less overhead for everything else, less stupidity to get in my
>> way) than both Windows 2000 and Windows XP.  Some software (notably
>
> ...of course, you can always strip 2k and XP to be much the same.

I've given some thought to looking at nLite, having had prior good
experiences with 98Lite, but I don't know exactly what the differences
between 2KPro and 2K3 Server are.

> I had to do it with XP to keep it from driving me nuts, and I still have a ways
> to go.
>
> Unfortunately, newer games have stupid and artificial "requirements" for XP now.

I'm not looking forward to when new games start "requiring" Vista.

> XP == 2000 for all but trivial differences that could be patched in to 2k, only
> Microsoft refuses to do it.
>
> The way I see it, it would be to their advantage... seems like it would greatly
> reduce support costs to merge the two.

Except that they might lose sales from people that they can otherwise
convince they "have to" upgrade to XP.  (Although XP should honestly be
considered as something like Win2K SP5 with an appearance^Wbloat pack
bolted on top.)

>> Symantec antivirus, and, I think, SAS) will detect that you're running
>> on server instead of workstation and refuse to run unless you buy a more
>> expensive version, but most things Just Work.

Since I don't use either one, I don't see that as a problem.  :)  (We
use AVG -- it's cheaper and better.)

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.