[rescue] OS X is certified UNIX

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Jun 13 17:09:30 CDT 2007

On Jun 13, 2007, at 5:21 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> That's now. In the 1980's  you had to buy a source code license and
> a license for the name.
> It was very expensive. By 1990, you could buy a cheap source code
> license for $100k, but
> it did not entitle you to call your product UNIX and you had to pay
> a per system
> binary license fee to AT&T ($60 for 1 or 2 users, $250 for unlimited).

In 1996-ish timeframe, Sun paid about $150 Million USD to either
Univel or Novell or someone to have a permanent license/right to SVR4
UNIX.  Dunno if it was SVR4.0 or 4.2 codebase or all 4.x releases.

 From that point on, it was clear that Sun was going to put all their
wood behind the one arrow of Solaris, and they have continued to do
that.

> That BTW, is where Solaris as we know it came from. Interactive
> bought a source license and
> sold a '386 product. Kodak had a digital printing system using
> Suns. They migrated to
> UNIX 386's using Interactive's product and later bought the
> company. Sun bought it
> from Kodak.

Sun was working on Solaris 2.0  well before they bought Interactive.
In 1988 ATT and Sun announced they would work together to put out
SVR4.  They didn't buy Interactive until about 1992.  And Interactive
ran only on x86 rather than on SPARC machines.

(Even DELL had a version of SVR4.0 back in the day.)

--Patrick