[rescue] Operating system for Axil 320

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jun 11 11:40:23 CDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 06:07:25PM +0200, Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:
> Well, still is, but as orderable media. I think download was free
> since good 3 years (that's how I got mine). Earlier you were
> required to have extended support account or something (locked out for mortals).

Originaly Solaris cost money. Midway through it's "life cycle" Sun released
Solaris 7 for free if you paid for shipping. When Solaris 8 was released
it was available for free download.

When Solaris 9 was released it was a free download, Solaris 8 became a
$25 download. I remember because the place I was working at bought
a new machine from Sun and I ordered Solaris 9 with it. It turned out
that the application they wanted it for would not run on Solaris 9 and
the vendor claimed it would be a long time before it would if ever.

We had to pay $25 to download Solaris 8.

When Solaris 10 was released, Solaris 8 disapeared and Solaris 9 became
$25. Recently they made it free again.

Now if only I could find Solaris 8. :-)

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838