[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 55, Issue 6

ajones ascii.letter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 08:52:41 CDT 2007

> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 00:50:34 -0600
> From: "Dan Duncan" <danduncan at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Looking for Ultra-2 parts
> To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>
> For space reasons I got rid of my last Sun monitor today (I've gotten
> rid of most of my SPARC hardware and just kept the Ultra 2E) and I'm
> hoping to get a dual VGA/13w3 monitor or use a framebuffer with VGA
> output or an adapter to VGA.  What is likely to be the least painful?

Most PC monitors, especially LCDs, will accept Sun composite-sync
input.   All you will need is one of those little passive 13w3->VGA
adapters to handle the physical problem, plus a little patience.
Compatibility can be pretty hit or miss, and the monitor documentation
is never helpful. (I once had an LCD that would complain loudly and shut
itself off when presented with composite sync, even though the image was
perfect for the five minutes or so before it kicked into power save mode.)

I don't know whether Sun made any sync-on-green 13w3 outputs, but those
should work with many PC monitors as well, if you clip the H- and V-sync
pins out of your VGA cable to make sure the monitor doesn't receive
garbage signals.