[rescue] Needed: Older laptops

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Wed Jul 4 10:12:40 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 10:57:04AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

| > Even on my wife's 266 MHz laptop, XP and Firefox work just fine.  Just
| > make sure you have at least 256 MB of RAM, and there's no problem.
|
| Firefox's normal load on my machine is well over 256MB.

That is not normal.  Firefox is fine on this computer, and it's got
256 MB.

It even works OK on my wife's with 128 MB, though it does swap more
than I'd prefer there.

| On that laptop, I'd be swapping constantly.

Something is unusual.  Extensions?  Caching set way way high?

It works with a lot less by default.

| > It's not a speed demon, but TORTURE?  Not any more than XP usually is ...
|
| With most of the software I run, and I don't even run that much, torture is
| pretty accurate.

256 MB is adequate for XP, Firefox or IE, and Office.  Bill said `run
XP and access the Internet' -- now, he wasn't very precise about
`access the Internet', but for most `non computer professionals' that
means a browser and Outlook.

Even 128 MB works, but there will be some swapping and it starts to
get painful.  Not TORTURE, but painful.

No idea what the rest of your software is ...

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
DISCLAIMER:
Use of this advanced computing technology does not imply an endorsement
of Western industrial civilization.