[rescue] How old skool is your IT?

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Wed Jan 31 08:27:43 CST 2007

> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37238
>
> I'm sure most people on here will be able to beat the OS/2
> stuff given as an example!

If we're talking actual IT, as in "it runs something that makes money
for a business", then it's getting hard to find good examples. I know of
lots of DOS applications running under older MS Windows environments. I
know of a few examples of early Vaxen and there are some PDP-11's, but
none that I personally know of.

I think the real good example I know of is dual-floppy based Xerox 820's
running CPM. I worked for a company that built a highly automated
microfiche camera system (it moved the paper for you), and their first
machine used the Xerox 820.

Here's an example of the later version of the machine, a TDC Documate
IV, and a manual feed Documate 1. The Documate 1 has a terminal attached
to it, but it's only used for camera manipulation and fiche titling and
runs off a simple rom-based computer inside the Documate 1.

http://www.pacifichartec.com/documate.htm