[rescue] ZFS on V100

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jan 16 18:52:36 CST 2007

Just to follow up, one of the posts from Patrick led me to a work
around.

First, supposedly the problem is fixed in svn_52 and newer.  I don't
know exactly how one gets svn_52, unless Solaris Express Build 52 is
the same thing.  I'm currently downloading Express Build 54, but I
don't know if I will upgrade in a few days when I have it safely on CD
at home or not.

In the mean time, a work around that fixes the problem for me is to
make each part of the disk to be mirrored by ZFS in a concat/stripe,
then pass the md devices to ZFS for mirroring:

bash-3.00# metainit d1 1 1 c0t0d0s3
d1: Concat/Stripe is setup
bash-3.00# metainit d2 1 1 c0t2d0s3
d2: Concat/Stripe is setup
bash-3.00# zpool create tank mirror /dev/md/dsk/d1 /dev/md/dsk/d2
warning: device in use checking failed: No such device
warning: device in use checking failed: No such device
bash-3.00#

Obviously, a metadb is needed first, but I had already created that
since I plan to use mirror the boot partition as well.  I don't know
what is up with the warnings, but it does create /tank with 105 gigs
free on that mount point, which is what I'd expected.  And it fixes the
speed problem.