[rescue] Sun mod/hack: lunchbox style with Sun mobo?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 15 20:58:36 CST 2007

>From: Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
>Date: 2007/01/15 Mon PM 02:26:51 CST
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Sun mod/hack: lunchbox style with Sun mobo?

>" From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>"
>" Just wondering if anyone here is familiar with the "lunchbox" style
>" luggable PC form factor?
>"
>" Know where to get good cases or parts for same?
>"
>" I was thinking of taking e.g. an AX1105 or other ATX sized mobo and
>" making a SPARC luggable out of it.
>"
>" The luggable format might be a good fit for my needs.
>
>not luggable but the closest i can think of is the dell sff case, from
>at least the gx100 era.  more recent lines have actually had different
>mbs in different models, but the sff gx100 really had the same mb as
>the large tower server gx100, so i'm sure it will take an atx - along
>with a hd, floppy, and cdrom.  and i think it even has 2 pci slots.
>
>i've always wanted one, and an axe board to stuff into it.

IIRC, that system is like the Optiplex GX150, and that system does not use an ATX MB, it is more a mini ATX MB, and when installed in a full-size case, has a second circuit borad next to it with additional PCI slots on it. Oh, and at least in the GX150, the PCI slots are "low profile", no conventional PCI cards fit...

A full size ATX MB (like the AXe MB) is actually quite large.

Lionel