[rescue] Making Solaris 10 boot after the boot device haschanged

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Fri Jan 12 00:59:20 CST 2007

On Dec 26, 2006, at 14:36, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, velociraptor wrote:
>
>> I ended up booting from the media, mounting the root slice under /a,
>> then used either cp or cpio to copy everything from /dev* to the root
>> disk.  I'm pretty sure I used find with cpio since cp is does weird
>> stuff with hard links and is finicky about soft links if you don't
>> get
>> the flags right.  E.g. find {some expression} | cpio -pdumv
>> {destination}
>
> I've also done this, but used a chrooted devfsadm, IIRC.

I just realized that I hadn't posted my final follow-up on this -
sorry about that. This is indeed what I did, except instead of
booting from cdrom, chrooting, and then running devfsadm normally, I
eschewed the chroot and used the -r flag to devfsadm to specify an
alternate root device. I ran
	mount /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0 /a
	devfsadm -C -r /a
	devfsadm -r /a
	umount /a
	reboot

... and it was cleaned up nicely.
(as per my previous post, trying to do a devfsadm under a chroot spit
an error at me. I didn't see the -r flag until my second time through
the manpage)

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

  - Micah