[rescue] Flakey E220r - advice sought...

Ahmed Ewing aewing at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 13:35:12 CST 2007

On 2/18/07, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2007, at 1:20 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm wanting to put my E220r in to service, but it keeps
> > resetting/rebooting ate random intervals.
>
> Have you checked the logfiles?  In one case when a U1/170 was giving me
> problems, the logfile showed it was a thermal related problem, which
> was solved by better ventilation.  Another time ECC errors on a DIMM
> were correctly diagnosed.

I agree completely. Is there any console output whatsoever at the time
of the resets/reboots? It might be worth connecting a logging device
(like a laptop with terminal emulation software) to ttya so that you
can capture whatever dumped info blows by the screen next time the box
bounces, and parse the text file at your leisure. This is particularly
handy if nothing useful is captured in /var/adm/messages. There are a
bunch of different things that could be going wrong, and as others
have suggested, it may not be the system board either.

Hope that helps,

-A