[rescue] really old SysVr4

Ahmed Ewing aewing at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 19:32:34 CST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007 6:49 PM, John Floren <slawmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, recently I've become interested in running System V on an old
> 486 or something, just to get a feel for how things were. The problem
> is that I don't know where to get the software! Does anyone have some
> disk images for old-timey x86 Unix? I'm not too knowledgeable in that
> area, so I'm not sure what all my choices are, so suggestions and
> comments would be welcome.

Full install images may be hard to come by. However, here's a page
with Caldera-hosted links to what appears to be some crispy old SCO
SysV/386 and Xenix boot floppies:

http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html

Without their accompanying distros you may not be able to get much out
of them beyond a basic single-user mode root prompt, but it's
certainly a start.

Here's another more readily accessible project that perhaps might also
interest you--a modern collection of vintage-behaving versions of your
favorite UNIX tools--they provide their original look, feel, and often
under-the-hood functionality (algorithms etc) but updated for more
current usefulness (Y2K-ized, I15N-ized, static data structure
limitations increased/removed, etc):

http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/index.html

Hope that helps,

-A