[rescue] FC-AL drives on sale at geeks.com

David Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Sun Dec 23 22:41:05 CST 2007

On Dec 23, 2007, at 20:58 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> From: David Muran-de Assereto <dmuran at tuad.org>
>> Date: 2007/12/23 Sun AM 11:30:52 CST
>> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [rescue] FC-AL drives on sale at geeks.com
>
> <snip>
>
>> I agree in general, but that SATA drive doesn't work so well in my
>> Blade 1000.
>>

> <snip>
>
> What, you don't wan to put it in a USB 2.0 ext. case? ;^)
>
> I was thinking about simply making storage available on my
> network... $60
> worth of FC-AL drives yields about 300+ Gigs of space, that same $60
> buys a
> similar amount of storage, with a much lower "carbon footprint" ;^)

USB - ick. I've tried that a couple of times; last time, I had a 500GB
USB 2.0 drive on the Mac Pro, and the throughput was significantly
lower than network I/O using CIFS over gigE. No, USB is for keyboards,
mice, cameras, and thumb drives, not for real storage. I took the
drive out of the case, trashed the case, and installed it in the PVR,
which made my wife very happy.
I already have a a couple of terabytes of NAS, carefully cobbled
together over the years, so I am more concerned with bootable local
storage for my miscellaneous boxes.
My "main" NAS is a Dell 1800, hardware RAID-5, 1.5T of goodness, gigE.
Aside from storage, It runs testbed enterprise services like LDAP,
DNS, MySQL, and the home music server. Runs CentOS5.1, since FreeBSD
PAE drivers don't work so well (read: no NIC, for example) and Solaris
10 can't find the RAID.
The backup box is a whitebox Athlon64 3000+ I built from "quiet"
parts; FreeBSD6.whatever,  gigE, with 1.5T of RAID-5 IDE. It's also
the secondary for testbed services. I keep it on the third floor in
the spare bedroom, out of the basement flood zone.

David Muran-de Assereto
dmuran at tuad.org

Sapere Aude!