[rescue] FC-AL drives on sale at geeks.com

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Dec 23 21:46:09 CST 2007

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 12:30:52PM -0500, David Muran-de Assereto wrote:

> I agree in general, but that SATA drive doesn't work so well in my
> Blade 1000.

I did hear of someone (Brian Hechinger) who put a few SATA drives in his
U80.  At least, I think they were in it.  Maybe they were in an external
case, and my recall is mistaken.

Now, not in the Blade 1000, but I'm considering the idea of a 1U rack PC
with space for 4 HDs in it.  In that case I would put two mirrored SATA
drives and an EmPhase IDE flash module (thus leaving me space to add two
more drives in the future), along with a small motherboard and a FC PCI
card.  On the flash module I will install FreeBSD with FC target mode
enabled.

Then I shall rule the world!!!

OK, well, then I will be able to have the important data on a FC9 FC
array, and the less important data on a 500, 750, or 1TB array, with
space to affordably upgrade the bulk array in the future.