[rescue] Looking for sun 13w3 monitor or 13w3 to VGA adapter

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Fri Dec 21 16:42:55 CST 2007

In article <200712211655.20427.pat at computer-refuge.org>,
    Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org>  writes:

> Actually, it might be cheaper to fly out, pack it yourself, and ship it
> common-carrier freight back to yourself...

I compared the cost of the truck to the cost of shipping.  The truck
was cheaper.

> Really, if you care that much about what you're picking up, why would
> you entrust ANY 3rd party that you don't know, and don't have any
>  control over, to do the work for you?

It depends on how much you care and how far away the stuff is located.
As I said, for the Reality Monster, I cared enough *and* it was enough
stuff that I did it myself.

> Bitch all you want about CTS, but the experience you have is going to
> vary completely by the local people at the branch that you're getting
> things shipped out of.

They screwed up in more ways than just the luck of the draw in who
packed my equipment.

> (If you don't want spend $/time to go pack
> it properly, or pay $$$ to have some professionals do it, then don't
> complain when it's not done up to your standards).

I have no problem with the money I paid to C&F for the shipping that
they did for me.  I *do* have a problem with a place that promises to
me to do business a certain way and then doesn't do that.  Whenever I
look at having something sent to me by freight, I first look to see if
I can have C&F do it for me.

> I'm not sure whether that speaks more to the freight industry (if you
> don't make custom crates for the equipment you're shipping, then expect
> it'll probably be damaged to some extent), or to the stupidity of
> companies to make fragile computer skins. :)

If the stuff was shipped in the original packing material made by SGI,
it would be fine.  But noone keeps that stuff once they unpack the
machine.  The Onyx2's actually come with their own ramp and plenum in
the original packaging.