[rescue] Looking for sun 13w3 monitor or 13w3 to VGA adapter

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Fri Dec 21 13:09:57 CST 2007

In article <200712211326.50896.pat at computer-refuge.org>,
    Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org>  writes:

> "You pay $0 and then pay $1k to have it shipped" is more like the stuff
> I tend to collect...

I have had some stuff gifted to me (two Origin 2000 servers, 5 Octane
workstations), but most stuff I've had to purchase.  I got in on the
"game" late and I'm not located near convenient high density piles of
collectable stuff.

> Of course, I've never tried to get a rack of gear shipped *to* me from
> overseas.  That would probably end up being much more than $1k.

I had a PLATO terminal shipped to me from the UK.  It cost about $500
and that was just plain UPS.

> Limiting the collecting radius to places that I can drive in ~6hrs
> or so (and owning a box truck with a lift-gate) helps a lot in bringing
> down the per-item delivery costs. :)

Limiting my collecting to places I can drive to in ~6hrs only extends
my collecting radius to Boise and Las Vegas... not exactly a hotbed of
computing history.

> Compared with freight shipping
> all the stuff I've collected, the money I've spent on the truck really
> is just chunk change.

If I were collecting more rack oriented stuff, then purchasing a truck
would make sense.  My friend has a video game collection and it
probably makes sense for him to buy a truck with a lift gate and even
though he can afford it more readily than I, he hasn't done it :).
However, he is willing to help me with my insanity as I help him with
his -- he went out to St. Louis with me to get my 4-rack Onyx2 Reality
Monster and a bunch of other SGI gear.