[rescue] VS80 DLT tape drive question

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Fri Dec 14 10:50:13 CST 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> The RS eraser.... NO GO !  I gave it 30 seconds on the top,
> 30 seconds on the bottom, I can still READ ! the tape....

    I don't know if this will help with your situation, but I found a trick
that enabled me to use tapes that had been written on a DLT8000, on a
DLT7000 drive.  I have a Dell Powervault 120T-DLT7000, and got in a batch
of tapes from a DLT8000.  A VHS bulk tape eraser was ineffective.  I
discovered though, that I could use the Mode control on the front panel to
force the tape to be written.  If you think this might help, I'll verify
the procedure when I get home.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Old Technology	http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/