[rescue] VS80 DLT tape drive question

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 07:27:40 CST 2007

--- Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:

> Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> > Answering my own question now....
> >
> > The issue was VS80s (and probably DLT8000s) if
> they detect DLT4000
> > formatted media go into 'write protect mode'.
> Tapes need to be bulk erased.
> > I have a bulk eraser (Radio Shack), but haven't
> tried it yet.  Trying a
> > brand
> > new DLT IV tape (I had only one), and I'm writing
> a backup to it now.
>
> I thought you couldn't bulk-erase DLT media because
> it erases the servo
> tracks...?

Nope. DLT doesn't use servo tracks. Bulk erase away.
Now, some of the other tape formats might. And
removable disk platters certainly do. But DLT tapes
are much like nine track tapes in terms of the way
data is written (albeit in both directions, with more
tracks...). In fact, in order to use tapes that were
once written in a DLT8000 in an older (say, DLT4000),
I believe you have to bulk erase them. I don't know
the specific circumstances, but some drive/media
combinations, you do.

But keep the bulk eraser away from things like RL02
cartridges...

-Ian