[rescue] Anyone got a spare copy of Solaris 8/x86?

Scott Quinn compoobah at valleyimplants.com
Mon Dec 10 23:24:01 CST 2007

You may be able to get the media, but it wouldn't come with a legal
license, unless possibly you bought it from a Sun-authorized reseller
(I'm a bit fuzzy on the x86 versions).

Certainly the license is non-transferable - the Solaris 8 license was
(for a time) free download for personal, educational, or development
work, but the license was non-transferable. Later on, the x86 version
cost a bit of money ($39 seems familiar for some reason), but the
license was still non-transferable.

At this point, it appears that Sun is no longer selling Solaris 8 to
the general public. If you're a registered developer it might be
worthwhile checking with them to see if they have any sort of an
unofficial program for developers who need to support prior versions of
Solaris.

Another possibility- I believe the Trusted Solaris product is based
around Solaris 8. More expensive, and I'm not sure whether enough is
shared with standard Solaris 8 for your purposes or not, but it is
still being sold.