[rescue] Should I buy a 12" G4 iBook?

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 18:23:35 CST 2007

bill at bdoserr.com wrote:
>    >And are OK with 1,280 Megs RAM (should be fine for most applications,
>    but it is a limitation with older G4 laptops >(like my 15" 500 MHz Ti
>    PowerBook - 1 Gig max)...
>    >Lionel
>    I have a 12" 800Mhz.  How does one get it to 1,280?  Mine has 128
>    built in, and a 512 so-DIMM.  I recall learning that 512 was the
>    biggest it would take, or at least the biggest amount documented.
>    Does 1 GB work? That would give 1,152.
>    I'd love to increase the RAM in mine.  It's still a very useful
>    machine.

Stated memory limits are not always true.  Usually they are dependent on
tested configurations for memory sizes available at the time of
design/testing.

Check some of the hardware forums to be certain, but generally, larger
sticks of RAM will work.  As an example, I had 2x512MB SODIMMs in my
Pismo, which was only stated to accept 2x256MB SODIMMs.  Given that OS X
is based on BSD, it's likely that the iBooks will accept 2GB SODIMMs
unless they are too thick due to chip stacking or too tall.

Worst case, buy from a local retailer with a good return policy.

=Nadine=