[rescue] VS80 DLT tape drive question

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Dec 10 16:01:46 CST 2007

On Monday 10 December 2007, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> Although a second
> hand SuperDLT or LTO would be much nicer... however I doubt I'll find
> a cheap one of those with tapes anytime soon.

Quantum has said that they're dead-ending development on the SuperDLT,
so those should start dropping.. LTO-2 is dropping rapidly in price
(especially when you consider the price of a new LTO-4 drive), and
LTO-1 is pretty darn cheap.

Work is currently paying $25/ea for new top-shelf (Fujifilm) LTO-2
media.  $0.13 a GB for brand new media doesn't seem all that bad to me,
and there's always used media...

Pat