[rescue] VS80 DLT tape drive question

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Dec 10 12:22:57 CST 2007

I was given an external VS80 (Dell branded) tape drive.

The 'door' where tape goes, flaps freely in... I'm used to my
DLT4000 where the door is locked closed when a tape is out.

I've opened it up, and I don't see any evidence of an interlock
mechanism or even a spring to hold it closed.

When the external drive is powered on, the fan in the case
causes the flap to pull partway in (pulling dust/etc into the
drive).  Is this really how these drives are ?

If not, where would the door spring go ????

How are these drives ?  Seems like a very compact drive.
Specs show a slower transfer rate vs the full size DLT8000.

Thanks,

-- Curt