[rescue] IP KVM?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Dec 6 12:25:43 CST 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 09:04:52AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> I'm looking for a recommendation for an IP KVM that I can attach to a
> very LOUD rack-mount PC, in order to keep the head on the kids' desk but
> move the damn box outside into the rack.  Needs to support USB keyboard
> and mouse, and needs to automagically handle VGA mode switching up to
> about 1280x1024.  Remote sound would be nice too, but I can run a 1/8"
> audio line alongside the Ethernet line, no problem.
>
> It also needs to not cost too much.  On the other hand, it only needs to
> support a single machine.
>
> Any recommendations?
>

> (Yeah, I'm also going to see if I can quiet the damned thing down by
> swapping in quieter fans, but I don't know how much I can accomplish there.)

I would think that you would just want a console extender, not a full
KVM.

Also, why do you need IP based?  Can't you run a dedicated CAT5 line for
this purpose?  A non-ethernet solution that still uses CAT5 would likely
be a lot cheaper.  I believe you should be able to turn up something
like this for about $150 with some care.

At some point I'm hoping to setup a console extender for my Octane at a
distance of over 50 feet.