[rescue] SUMMARY: 7043-260 serial console help - no login prompt

Scott Mickey mickey at denver.net
Fri Aug 31 09:22:29 CDT 2007

Wise Rescuers,
Success!
I'm now seeing a normal login prompt on the serial console (tty0).
This was accomplished through software, not by building a new
serial cable.  After about 20 years of dealing with the RS232
"standard", I get very irritated, grumpy, and impatient every time
I have to build a custom DB9 or DB25 connector for a specific
machine.  So, I avoid it if at all possible.
A *BIG* Thank You to Patrick Finnegan who sent me this single
line AIX command:
chdev -l tty0 -P -a runmodes=hupcl,cread,brkint,icrnl,opost,tab3,onlcr,isig,icanon,echo,echoe,echok,echoctl,echoke,imaxbel,iexten,clocal -a logmodes=hupcl,cread,echoe,cs8,clocal
While this command looks intimidating, it just sets the default
behavior for tty0, plus adds "clocal" which means "without modem
control".  Also, I added the -P.  Since tty0 is in use as the
console, it's properties cannot be changed while the machine is
running.   -P makes the changes effective after reboot.
So I still have the same terminal server cables and connectors
for all my machines (Sun, HP, IBM), and life is good.

Scott Mickey