[rescue] laptop suggestions

Scott Quinn compoobah at valleyimplants.com
Tue Aug 28 22:34:58 CDT 2007

Lionel wrote:

> Solaris x86 (probably not Solaris 10) can also run pretty well, but
> start-up times can be agonizing (once running, Solaris feels fine on a
> PII/266-300 MHz laptop, with *at least* 256 Meg RAM).

I've tried to put Solaris 10 on it from the Sun DVDs but no-go (come to
think of it, out of 3 PC-type computers I've tried to put it on, all
the important bits on the HCL. none of them have worked (2 Compaqs and
one Dell). In contrast, out of all the SPARCs I've tried to put it on
it's worked great, so I know it isn't just idiocy on my part). I think
I can get Solaris 9 x86, but I'm not sure if that will help much (192MB
RAM, I found an extra 128MB SODIMM in the garage). I keep hearing
everybody say that Solaris x86 is good (if it's like Solaris SPARC then
it is) but I have never been able to get it running.

I can get QNX up on it, but I'm not sure how useful that will be.

I'm trying NetBSD now.