[rescue] Using PATA/SATA disk controllers in an Ultra 60

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Mon Aug 27 00:00:07 CDT 2007

On Aug 25, 2007, at 13:10, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I'd go with Solaris Express for the latest drivers, giving you the
> best chance for support. The SATA driver appears to be supported
> under x86 Solaris [0], but not sure about SPARC.

Back when I last checked (maybe in 2006 or so), SPARC didn't support
the SATA cards that even x86 supported, even in OpenSolaris. This
means your options are 1) new SPARC box with the controller that Sun
uses, or 2) an expensive SAS card :(.

If someone knows either how to cajole the x86 driver into a SPARC
Solaris box, or if there is a way to buy and use some a SATA card
that can appear to be the same as the on-board SATA of the newer
SPARCs, I'd really love to hear it.

Right now I have two USB2<->SATA drive enclosures and a USB2 card in
my UltraSPARC. It works OK, but moving the drives internal would be
way better.

  - Micah