[rescue] SCSI/IDE laptop adapters

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 26 07:56:40 CDT 2007

	rescue at sunhelp.org, cctalk at classiccmp.org
>Subject: [rescue] SCSI/IDE laptop adapters

<snip>

>I did some searching and found there was a company that made an adapter
>that fit next to a modern (thin) laptop drive, so the result was a
>somewhat thickish "disk" that still fit within the old laptop form
>factor - but which spoke SCSI to the host even though the disk was IDE.
>Most of them were fairly expensive, but there was one that looked
>reasonable.  The vendor that was said to carry it, though, no longer
>does (I phoned them and asked), so I wrote to the manufacturer.
>
>They offer to sell them to me at US$65 apiece, quantity 10.  I'm
>willing to pay that rate, but I have no need for more than maybe two.
>So I'm wondering if people would be interested in buying these off me
>(at my cost, which probably means about USD 70 including shipping, at
>least within US48+CA).

That price is pretty reasonable, IMHO, but...

>The device in question is the Century CHB25INT, as described in
>http://online.century.co.jp/BittradeTest/e_shop/chb25int.html.

As I read the description, I am concenred about what size drives the adapter really takes, and how big the resulting "new drive" is. They seem to have mixed the descriptions between their 2.5" adapter (above link) and their 3.5" adapter (http://online.century.co.jp/BittradeTest/e_shop/chb35int.html) - they refer to the 3.5" part in the 2.5" description.

As I recall, for most installations, you would want an adapter that would attach to a 2.5" laptop drive and increase the thickness of the drive+adapter to no more than 17mm. This adapter would take a 9.5mm drive and make it a 21.5mm thick drive - which may be fine for some applications, but for drives that need to be installed in HD trays, it may be too big...

I do not need any of these, as I can't think of any machines I plan to run that use 50 pin SCSI drives - if it was an adapter to take 2.5" laptop IDE drives and adapt them to SCA I might be interested...

Lionel