[rescue] Replacing the CD-ROM with a DVD-ROM in an Ultra-5

Andrew Gaylard ag at computer.org
Tue Aug 21 03:02:21 CDT 2007

Hi people,

Yesterday I was given an Ultra-5.  I'd like to replace the
Sun-standard IDE CD-ROM drive that came with it, with
a "vanilla" DVD drive.  I've put the hard drive and the DVD
drive onto one IDE channel each.  They're both jumpered
as "cable select".  The boot PROM (3.11) sees them, and
the DVD drive starts booting the Solaris-10 installer, but
then the kernel issues a timeout error, and the box resets.

Is this supposed to work?
Am I doing something wrong?

Andrew