[rescue] SGI Impact 10000

Kevin R. Marshall kevin at mpcf.com
Thu Aug 16 13:47:47 CDT 2007

IRIX 8, no such deal.  Maybe they mean 8 discs??

IRIX 6.5 was the last (.30 or .32 maybe?).  5.3 runs well on that
machine but 6.5 should run fine too with enough RAM.

/KRM

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:43:09 -0400
Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> > Phil Stracchino wrote:
> >> I have a chance to snag an Impact 10000, exact specs
unknown.  I don't
> >> remember the status of Sun/SGI interoperability; should a
Sun monitor
> >> work with this?  Or is it framebuffer dependent?
> >
> > Well, the IMPACT is actually the graphics.  That machine will
be an
> > Indigo^2.  A *very* nice machine, BTW.
>
> Yeah, I found that out Googling subsequent to the question.  (I
was
> puzzled that I hadn't heard of a machine called Impact.)
>
> > IMPACT is actually a series of graphics cards.  There were
three levels,
> > Solid IMPACT, High IMPACT and Maximum IMPACT, in that order.
The Solid
> > IMPACT is fine for 2D stuff, but I'd upgrade, if you want to
do any 3D.
> >   The Solid IMPACT does have 3D acceleration, but the other
two are a
> > good bit faster and have texture RAM, which the Solid IMPACT
lacks.  If
> > memory serves, the Max IMPACT has twice as much TRAM as the
High IMPACT.

> So an Indigo2 Impact 10000 would have the Solid IMPACT?
>

> (Oh, it includes IRIX 8 media, btw.  Owner says he hasn't
touched it

--
/~\ The ASCII
\ / Ribbon Campaign