[rescue] Solaris 9 NFS client with Linux server

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Aug 9 14:03:04 CDT 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> Of course, once you do that the trick then becomes trying to get
> improved performance from the GigE.  I haven't been having great
> results between a file server that is only barely faster than FastE
> anyway, and machines that refuse to go fast for some reason (Macs).

I saw excellent performance gains switching from a Fast Ethernet switch
to a Gigabit Ethernet switch when communication among my Powerbook, a
desktop Dell (SX270), a Power Macintosh G4 (Quicksilver), and a Dell
Precision.

No, I don't have numbers.

However, I can throw around ISO-9660 disk images without noticing, and
my full-screen (1920x1200x32bpp) RDC sessions onto the two Dells are
much more responsive than they were before.

I didn't do any magic besides making sure that I have decent cables.
The cables I was originally given were only two-pair cables (not
TIA-568, just TX+/TX-/RX+/RX-), which is useless for 1000baseT, which
uses all four pairs (and is how you get gigabit performance over 250MHz
cable).

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "When they turn the pages of history, when these
Elgin, TX        (   days have passed long ago, will they read of us