[rescue] SGI IRIS 1200 in Massachusetts for $100 (eBay)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Aug 1 10:14:51 CDT 2007

On Aug 1, 2007, at 12:15 AM, Robert Darlington wrote:

> Well, there are a few I don't own for sure.
>
> Have you ever worked with BOXX systems?  I'm looking at possibly
> buying one of their 16 core systems for a client of mine.  It seems
> there aren't many people that make SMP boxes past about 2 or 4 cores
> (or cpus) anymore.  Clusters are not ideal for the problems my
> customer base works on.

I've never worked with a BOXX.  Aside from the top end Opteron
systems from them, I don't see anything to particularly recommend
them over HP or IBM workstations.

I thought that we had finally gotten to the point were lots of people
were doing 8 core machines, both for servers and workstations.
Previously, 4+ core workstations weren't that common.