[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 13:23:36 CDT 2007

On 4/28/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Then look at Starship Troopers. They kept the base storyline, but
> removed most of the guts of the story. They should not have used the
> same title.
>
> Starship Troopers was a vehicle for Heinlein's political ideas, and they
> watered it down so much it barely showed up in the movie.
>
> Of course, that's no surprise: Hollywood hates Heinlein.

It goes a lot farther than that.  Virginia Heinlein actually sued to
prevent Paul Verhoeven & from releasing the movie, due to the fascist
bent that they put to the story.   Unfortunately, she was only able to
get RAH's name taken off the film.  Verhoeven didn't just "gut" the
novel, he twisted it to his own political agenda--after not even
reading the entire novel.  I refuse to watch any more of his work as a
result.

Hollywood won't support the position that people should be independent
and think for themselves because that doesn't turn people into
"consumers".  The only filmmakers of recent vintage who are successful
at getting widely distributed movies with non-Hollywood messages are,
IMO, those willing to make comedies or disguise their viewpoint in the
form of four-color comic conversions.

Of course, with the internet and the long tail, it's just a matter of
time before movies go the way of music--small film makers will realize
they are better off selling directly to the public rather than going
through IP "brokers"--i.e. movie distribution companies.

=Nadine=